Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

And i write...

I resumed work yesterday and since then its been barely 2 hours since the Internet connection came back up. Almost everything 'network' in Naija in the last few days or week has been messed up as a result of the heavy rains that have wrecked havoc in Lagos! Lord help us with these rains, the whole place is flooded, people are displaced from their homes, cars are ruined and lives have been lost. Its terrible and worrisome. As usual trust Nigerians to take every hardship with a pinch of sugar, people have gone on to compose and send viral jokes on how wives, husbands, cars and even houses have floated into their premises as a result of the flood! Lol.. I've been praying to God for a 4-wheel drive to float into my compound, I'm desperately in need of a car! On a more serious note though, I wonder if the intensity of rain in Naija these days has anything to do with global warming as we haven't been blessed with rain such as this before!
Anyway I'm sure you guys have been wondering what's up with me and my blog right? Well I'm also wondering! I haven't had the luxury of internet access from a PC in almost 3 weeks and hence its cramped my writing style...smh... But I'm back now and i'm here to stay so make sure my page is on your list of favorite sites visited. 
Now back to my Kenyan experience, it began with a 7hours flight from Lagos to Nairobi in a regular boeing 737 plane with just two columns of three seats each with barely enough leg room! I was shocked to find Kenya Airways provide such a plane for a long haul flight such as this and worsened also by the fact that the journey was lengthened an extra hour by the stopover in Cotonou to download and upload more passengers! Nevertheless, stuck in the middle seat in between two friends, i slept most of the journey as it was a night flight. Landed in Nairobi and proceeded to immigration to get a visa for just $25! I must say it was a pleasant feeling to be able to hop on a plane without a visa and arrive a new country to get one stamped on the passport for such a peanut fee, kudos to the Nigerian and Kenyan government for seeing eye to eye on immigration. So my friends, Ib and Emmanuel, and I got stamped in and walked out of the International terminals with our suitcases to proceed to the domestic terminal so we could catch a flight to Kisumu from Nairobi. Unfortunately for us, the flight was fully booked and this was 8am in the morning. The next and only flight to Kisumu was at 4pm and then the hustle to get out of Nairobi began..... To cut a long story short, almost 9 hours later we made it to Kisumu after a 6hour bumpy ride through the beautiful towns of Kenya and with my bladder seconds away from bursting during the journey, that yours truly had to ask the cabbie to stop and hop into the bushes! LOOL! 
Anyway we settled in nicely into Kisumu and the rest is history... 
For picture viewing, see me on

I"m sorry but all the pictures i upload here from my BB camera wont rotate right!arrrrgggghhhh

4 comments:

  1. KQ probably uses a 737-700 or -800 on the route which I think have a range thats something like 5000km, which I think again Lagos-Nairobi is well within. Still I know the feeling of expecting anything cross-continental to be in a bigger aircraft! Was it the airline that put you on a bumpy 6 hours replacement bus ride to Kisumu or your own option? Great reason though to see more of the country than you would have in the air !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was our option to hit the road as it didn't make any sense sitting in the airport for 8hours. I must admit it was a nice ride, saw the beautiful landscapes of Kenya. I'll most definitely be going back someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know it was that easy to go to Kenya from Nigeria! I'm so jealous! Seems like you had fun though, LOL at hopping to the bushes...A girl's gat to do what a girl's gat to do right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renny, you couldn't have said it better! Indeed, she's gat to do her business when necessity calls for it! ‎​L☺L

    ReplyDelete