Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

THE COCONUT VS THE COCOYAM


A coconut is brown on the outside and white on the inside, so is a cocoyam. For those who do not know, a cocoyam is a locally grown edible starchy tuberous root of taro plants found mostly in West Africa. I’m hoping I don’t need to tell us what a coconut is? OK web definition says A coconut is the fruit of the coconut palm, native to southeast Asia but found in tropical regions. The coconut is sweeter and smoother on the inside and outside than a cocoyam is. A cocoyam is bland and rough around the edges, nothing too fabulous to remember. (See pictures for proof)
Coconut
Cocoyam


Why am I talking about coconut and cocoyam? Well because I’m a Cocoyam and my twin, is a Coconut! (She’ll kill me for saying this here).. I just think she looks brown on the outside but is more “white” on the inside, hence the tag coconut! If you’re looking for her, you’ll most likely catch her in Southeast Asia, specifically Laos! (Have you even heard of the place? Believe it or not she’s been there!!) She craves intercontinental dishes I could never imagine craving for, hummus and garlic bread, chili con-carne, sushi and any other funny name etc. She can only be found in airplanes (on her way to a different continent), theatres, ice rinks and London tube! You’ll also find her auditioning for the likes of X-factor and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire!

I on the other hand, I'm a cocoyam through and through!! If you’re looking for me you’ll find me in tropical Africa, specifically Nigeria (9ja for life)!! I’m brown on the outside and by serious fertilization (if you know what I mean) creamish/whitish. I can only be caught eating eba and afang, isi-ewu and designer jollof rice (favorite spot being Natives in Victoria Island). I can be found on okada’s, yellow taxis and buses and occasionally if I feel like I want the experience of sitting in a ‘convertible car’, I’ll hop on “keke-napep aka auto rikshaw (as the Indians call it). Auditions? I think I recall dreaming to get on ‘tales by moonlight’ as a kid, that’s as far as my auditions resume ends. Oh and to be a little posh now, I’m hoping to apply for Big Brother Africa, let me see if I can switch to a coconut small..hehehe.

So you see a Coconut and a Cocoyam are very similar but very different. And this is our story, the Coconut Vs Cocoyam Loool! I hope you enjoyed reading this  as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Hasta luego!
Chinny ;)
                                                                                                                                         

7 comments:

  1. very funny and well explained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very hilarious....from now on you are cocoyam to me...loll. www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! glad you guys like it :).. Firi don't call me cocoyam o! You can call me 'coco' though, i always thought that was a nice name :)..

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol chinny, i mean coco. True talk tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. chinnycoco,bravo,you eased the digestion of my lunch today,i enjoyed every bit of ur writtings,most expecially this coco yam/nut topic, maybe becos i know the two personage used for the illustrations.Keep being yourself and cheers. from lizy in paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, glad you enjoyed it Lizzy! I have my moments ;)

      Delete