Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

A HORSE, God's Favorite Animal?

I admire horses but I’m somewhat terrified of them. Maybe it’s because they are taller than me or because I feel they have semi-loose nuts in their head that can unscrew at anytime and have them charging away with a resolve of vengeance, I don’t know. Ive ridden on one before (of course not alone) and I remember being scared to get on but being the adventurous and daring person I am, I refused to concede to fear. I couldn't wait to get off as I was uncomfortable. Just seeing a horse stand beside me or having to pass beside one freaks me out internally. Anyway tall or wild as they may be, i cannot deny the splendor of a horse. Their size, strength and beauty fascinates me.

Why am I talking about a horse today? Well because I always wanted to write about horses ever since I stumbled upon the scripture (Job 39:19-25) that describes the magnificence of a horse. For some strange reason that scripture captured me, I don’t know what it was. Maybe it was the painting the words drew in my mind, I realized that day that there is no greater poet that ever existed than God. If He could take time to describe this animal, then there must be something we failed to acknowledge. I believe I started to write but stopped out of a lack for words or procrastination… I later watched an epic movie where at the start of the movie a herd of horses in flight ridden by epic warriors and racing across the desert sent my mind’s eye to a third world…  It was a beautiful sight... The thundering of many horses rushing into battle accelerating adrenaline, the sound of a horses grunt instilling fear, the sway of the horses mane carried by the wind like the sands of the desert sweeping across the Sahara, the reflection of the sun on it's velvety skin gleaming like fields of gold,  the eyes of a horse that sees only the path upon which it treads, blocking out fear and seeing its rider’s mission ahead…all this enthralled me and yet I didn’t write. But the end of my procrastinating ways was when I watched the movie ‘Secretariat’. I have never seen a movie before that can use an animal to teach us humans what determination and strength is all about. If you haven’t seen this movie, I strongly recommend it and mind you it’s based on a true life story. Before the movie was over I was painting the words with my mind’s eye. I finally knew in my spirit it was time to write about this great animal.

Are you with me? If you’re not, read the below and paint the picture for yourself….

Job 39: 19-25
19 “Have you given the horse its strength
      or clothed its neck with a flowing mane?
 20 Did you give it the ability to leap like a locust?
      Its majestic snorting is terrifying!
 21 It paws the earth and rejoices in its strength
      when it charges out to battle.
 22 It laughs at fear and is unafraid.
      It does not run from the sword.
 23 The arrows rattle against it,
      and the spear and javelin flash.
 24 It paws the ground fiercely
      and rushes forward into battle when the ram’s horn blows.
 25 It snorts at the sound of the horn.
      It senses the battle in the distance.
      It quivers at the captain’s commands and the noise of battle.

Horses in fields of gold...J
 Do you know a better poet than this? I don’t…. These are some of the regal things about a horse that beguiles me…
Why would God question Job about a horse? Why not humans, why not angels? Why a horse?
You see God threw a bunch of questions to Job in answers to his interrogation at the peak of his tribulations. Answering Him from the whirlwind, God’s opening line was “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words”? God asked Job to tell him who made the horse. He asked about the horse because a horse is grand. People have asked if a horse is God’s favorite animal, I’m tempted to say yes! They may not be His favorite but he most certainly likes them, how else can we explain why the bible mentions horses over 50 times?! No other animal was graced with such presence in the good book. So tell me if my enchantment of horses is obscure after all this? Heck no! I now looove horses J...and i love fields of gold! 

In another life I would not only own horses, I would be a jockey or a female epic warrior like Xena or Joan of Arc, kicking ass and loving it! So I hope next time you see a horse you think of spititout and you think of me with a smile on your face!
Hehehehe……

Till I write again,
Chinny :)


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE horses! Their grace and beauty amazes me and thanks to you, I can now add their strength and fearlessness to the list! It's also challenging to me, that if an animal can be so fearless and courageous, then I can be too.

    ReplyDelete