Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fear of Getting older

Its my birthday in exactly 8 days from today and i'm going to be 28. I know a lot of women don't like to tell their age, but i ain't one of those women.. Saying my age or not won't take or add any more years to my life or increase the size of my bank account, so what da hell?!Anyway i never thought i would be single at 28 but here i am, single and satisfied! Don't get me wrong when i use the word 'single', doesn't mean i don't have a man in my life, matter of fact i do and he's wonderful... So back to the age thing....I'm guessing my blog title gives the impression i'm scared of getting older? Far from it! I'm happy and thankful for life to this age, hearing the way young people are dying everyday.
Reminds me of when i was 23 there was this tall, handsome, blue-eyes, light skinned guy who wanted to marry me, but i barely knew him and in my naivety i couldn't even get myself to date him cause i felt his ultimate agenda was marriage and there was no way i was gonna be getting married at 23, hell no! In fact i did say to him to leave me alone and move on cause i wasn't gonna be ready even in 2years from then (at 25) to be married. In retrospect, i'm like 'what was wrong with you'? Why shouldn't i have been ready to get married at 25 right? I don't know.. I guess this marriage thing has to do with psychological and mental readiness and i was certain that it would take me more than 2 years to get there. I remember in university when i and my friends would discuss marriage, 26 was my ideal age. I wanted to be married at 26 and have had 2 kids by 30! I guess i'm now 2years behind on my ideal dreams ;)...hehehehe...Then the funny part was my friend who is so opinionated and a very independent type of chic was so sure she wasn't gonna get married before 28 and even said she didn't mind getting married at 30! Need i say who is married today?? Her of course! Married at 26 and laughing at herself for thinking myopically all those years! Guess life can be ironical..
And as i sit and think about the fact that i'm turning 28, i realize that i don't look nor feel 28! I look at least 2 years younger than i actually am and feel 3 years older than i am! Lol! Yep, i feel 3 years older.. I bet you thought i would say i feel 20 or something right?! Far from it.. Call me old-school or old mama, that's the truth! Maybe its because I've realized i behave, have views far ahead of my peers and have been told i sound older! Whichever the case, I would rather be caught acting like a mama than like a girl in her 20s with little to offer intellectually! Just me...sue me!
To answer the question if i now feel ready to be married? The answer is Yes! Not that i don't have my doubts some-days, but ultimately, I'm just about ready to start a new phase in life and curious as to what my babies would look like! lol.. Anyway you know what they say, the race is not to the swift! Time and chance people, time and chance....So live life with no regrets and stand by the decisions you make everyday.

ps: make sure y'all be wishing me happy birthday on the 11th of August!
Hasta la vista ;)

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday for the 11th, just in case I forget! ;) I love this post by the way, I can relate very well, obviously. My ideal age for marriage was 22 (this was when I was about 16 obviously!) but when I was actually 22, marriage was the furthest thing from my mind!

    So you want to get married to see what your babies would look like? na wa o, the reasons people give for wanting to get married...Lol!

    p.s. I know they'll look gorgeous, don't worry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‎​L☺L! That's not the only reason I want to get married o! Just kidding on that part but that don't mean I'm not still curious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Free truths - thats so funny. My smile's tearing my face apart. But yeah, they'll be gorgeous.

    From a guy's perspective, I hardly gave it much of a thought or could even give a best guess age when I planned or thought I'd be married. In two days though, we celebrate our wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a different all grown Chinwe on this blog...yeah we all have grown from the IDC days.

    Marriage, my childhood marriage age is 30 and i still have 4years to that mark, really not sure I am ready to get married. Yeah the curiosity is there but it sure is not strong enough. Happy Birthday in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. Like Wendal said, men and women think differently.

    Lol @ "curious as to what my babies would look like"... They'll be as beautiful as u, little Cocos running around in diapers! cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendal, happy anniversary!
    Mecca, i think they'll be cute too! I'm hoping cuter than Bella and Dubem :D..hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! thanks to fb, I didn't forget! :) I'm sure there's going to be much good news coming your way over the next few months, don't forget to invite me to enjoy with you o! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Chinny. Hope u had a good one too.

    ReplyDelete