Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Pastors and Scandals; a tale of adultery!

I haven't blogged in over three months and its not out of a lack of what to say but rather where to start from! So much has happened in my life in the last four months (ALL positive) that it has been excitingly overwhelming and I haven't had the time to publish some of my thoughts on it. Well I can't say all of what has happened but I'll just summarize and say some; I got married, moved continents, started a new life as a married woman and have been trying to settle into my new home and its been an absolutely an amazing and blessed journey. Super grateful to the almighty for a wonderful husband and friend who gives me a reason to smile everyday! Love you Mio..

Now onto other things outside of me, the blogosphere world has been abuzz with the story of the sex scandal between Ese Walter and some Pastor Bidoun Fatoyinbo of a church called COZA in Abuja Nigeria (click the title “My Affair With Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA").
When I read her story I was flipping mad!! First of all several things stuck out to me from this story the first of which is the kind of reverence Nigerian congregants tend to have for their pastors. And let me seize this opportunity to remind us that not everyone who calls the name of God is of God and this is why we must test the spirit to see if it is genuine. Acts 17:11 the Berean Jews were said to be of more noble character because they didn't just take the word of God hook, line and sinker when heard from men, they took the time to search scriptures and if as a Christian you are not doing that today then you are on your own! Back to the issue, these pastors are human beings like you and me and guess what??! They are NOT infallible! In fact I believe men of God are more prone to committing atrocities because their level of temptation, I dare to say, is most likely higher than yours or mine as a result of their spirituality. The saying goes that he that is down need fear no fall but what of he that is up? He definitely needs to fear to fall because when you are high up there are many forces, physical and spiritual, trying to bring you down and if you have no protection you will fall hard. Transfer this theory spiritually and I'm sure you can paint the picture for yourself. These pastors are men first before they are servants of God and this means that they have two sources feeding into them; one is from the world and all its garbage and the other is from the heavens with all its weapons to quench the darts of the world. Now we all know no one is perfect and hence we all feed off these two sources including pastors and therefore this means they get to experience temptation in all forms, shapes or sizes as the case appears with this story. The big question though is how do they resist it and when does their conscience stop them from doing wrong and acknowledging their sins saying "I have a problem and I shouldn't be in front of this pulpit because I have failed God and I have failed you (the church)"? Um, NEVER! Why? Let me ask you when last you came out in the open to confess an atrocity you committed? Thinking? I can guess the answer is Never! So you see why Pastor Biodun had to wait to be caught and not to confess! We all have secrets and we all go on our knees and try to resolve it personally with God and sometimes if we are daring enough we let someone or two in on our problems and hope we can find a solution. And sometimes we do find a solution and with the grace of God abounding can move on and not repeat the atrocity while sometimes we fall again! Many fall along the way and rise; while many rise along the way and fall again! Its in the human nature. Don't get me wrong I am livid with the abuse of power by this so called pastor because he has used his position to hide his shame but at the same time I am not blind to the fact that he has issues and needs help! So I will not pass judgment on him but I can say this he better confess and repent or face the wrath of God and that is a fact!

Second thing that stuck out to me is this Ese girl, I mean how stupid can one get that you don't know when to draw boundaries when its so obvious that something morally and atrociously wrong is about to happen and you are a part of it?! Its people like this that throw the term 'commonsense' out the window! Or should we assume she under some negative spiritual influence that led her to the arms of an adulterer and a so called man of God (very questionable) for that matter! In fact I'm bewildered to put it mildly. I wish I had more to say about this girl but fortunately I am in no position to pass judgment and so I rest my case. However I commend her public confession because it can't have been easy doing it even though I don't know whether or not she may have confessed publicly if she hadn't gone around telling several people who were already spreading the story. By telling her story she has exposed a harsh reality going on in the church and hopefully other women who have gone through similar experiences can find a way to forgive themselves and their cohorts in this heinous acts and move on.

Its just a pity and sad that so many so called Christians are practicing religiosity and carnality, not Christianity. I bet God is shaking his head and wondering what more He can tell us that is not already in His word. All I can say is fix your gaze upon what is right, honest, just, righteous, lovely and clean and invite the spirit to give you the strength and grace to quench all the fiery darts of the enemy and you will surely defeat the devil by the word of the Lamb and the word of your testimony!

Peace and Love to you!
Coco C

3 comments:

  1. Yayyyyy!!!! Welcome back!!! As for the COZA scandal, I cannot categorically say what is on my mind. When someone is accused of a 'crime' and brought before the court, the normal parlance is "how do you plead? Guilty or Not Guilty?" In this case, the Pastor ought to make a public statement, for the sake of his flock. If he is guilty, he should apologize to his wife and his congregation and seek help, who are we to judge him? If he is innocent, he should sue the lady for libel. If he can't figure out if he is guilty or not guilty, then he needs a higher level of grace! Or maybe he should blog as well (not from the pulpit o), and let the Naija people decide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air-mecca, you are right to say he needs to plead his case by confirming if he is guilty or not! I guess my write-up is confirmation that I believe he is guilty, what can I say except we all got to take a stand based on available facts! And the fact is that the guy has neither confirmed nor denied the allegations 4 days later so what are we to make of that?! I say he is guilty as sin but I'll wait and see if he has been able to consult and come up with a robust answer!! Lmao!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your wedding. That and moving continents ? Pheww - I hate moving house, can only imagine how much fun a continental move was right after a wedding. All the best.

    ReplyDelete