Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Delayed Post

I was supposed to put this post up almost three months ago but for some unknown reason I didn't and its been sitting in my email! Anyway here it is now as I attempt to resurrect my blogging skills. 

While sitting in my office, I find myself multitasking with my hands, mind and ears. Its Christmas time and I’m listening to a Christmas CD by Josh Groban on youtube, busy printing tons of technical drawings and lost in thought about different things.. The office is relatively empty this period with most people saving their miserly 10 to 14 vacation days for this time of the year which by the way is my favorite time of the year. I can’t help but feel mixed up with different emotions ranging from happy, content, sad, lonely, bored but thankful! Yep, that’s often my state of mind these days!

Maybe I’m just miserable about the fact that its Christmas and sadly I don’t get more than 2 days off because I just started a new job less than two months ago and technically I’m not yet entitled to any personal or vacation days, but  y company in the spirit of Christmas decided to let me have two days. Don’t get me wrong I am more than thankful for this but at the same time it reminds me of one of the reasons I miss home, Nigeria, where I always had at least 10 days off from work for Christmas and I always had something fun planned out for the season with a trip to my peaceful eastern Nigerian village or a trip to cold and wet London where my twin sister would be waiting for me. Oh well, guess life can’t always turn out the way we want it to. On a brighter note though, it’s the first Christmas I’m spending with the love of my life, my angelic husband whom just became my husband about 6months ago. So if I have anything to be happy about with my life in cold, snowy,  boring and traffic filled New Jersey, it’s that the most important person in my life lives with me and will be there to give me a loving hug and kiss when I’m feeling down.

Speaking of new jersey, I have to say that the US of A is one highly overrated and exaggerated place. I came here six months ago and I often find myself missing London where I got to live in for just a year. I don’t know what it is about here that hasn't quite appealed to me. Don’t get me wrong, there are beautiful places and nice things to do but something is missing… Maybe it’s the fact that I don’t have my family here, save for a brother who is in faraway Texas, and so very few friends whom I only get to speak to on the phone or chat with every other week; whatever it is I don’t know how long I’ll have the desire to live here. I always tell my husband we’ll move someday, maybe not back to Nigeria (story for another day) but to another country in North America or Europe which strangely I have come to like. 
I also have to say that the first time I came into the US of A I wondered why my people are so desperate to travel here and make a life here?! Nothing is quite ever as it seems… America from a distance and in TV sounds and seems like the best place to live on earth but I tell you the honest to God truth, IT IS NOT! I won’t even bother going into the gun violence occurring in this country on a daily basis or the intense sexual immorality among seemingly normal people or teenage suicide borne out of bullying or young kids committing atrocious crimes. This is a country without a soul and a proliferation of immoral acts too heinous to fathom. So I’ll save these topics for another day for you see these are some of the things that make this place unattractive and yes I know every country/society has issues but trust me a lot of people in this place are sick!

Anyway I won’t rant any longer and I desperately need to get back to work as my to do list is getting very long contrary to my hopes considering my boss will be out of town till the new year. 
This blog entry is to intended to debut the start of my life in the US, so watch out for more posts on what living in the US is truly like (assuming I get around to having the time to blog).

Merry Christmas everyone, go out and make someone smile today! Remember the reason for the season and always give thanks!

Till next time, hasta la vista!




No comments:

Post a Comment