Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

THE INCOMPETENCE OF ARTISANS

Tailors, generator guys, plumbers, air-conditioner repairers, housekeepers etc THEY ARE ALL THE SAME; INCOMPETENT!! I've found writing to be a release for me from life's many emotional roller coasters.. Today its borderline frustration.

I gave a tailor three materials to make me outfits, going on two months now, and you wont believe he hasn't sewn any! I'm sure a lot of you reading this have been in the same or similar shoes and you must be laughing out loud now! You see the last thread of patience and understanding in me of artisans has been shoved out of my emotional and compassionate storehouse! They have raged war and unfortunately they are winning...smh.. winning because all i can do is shout, and all they can keep doing is being HIGHLY INCOMPETENT & UNRELIABLE!! What to do?! The saying goes "pick your battles and win them", how do i win this one?? They have the tools and the skills and i don't so i'm dependent on them. Do i learn to fix my generator, sew my clothes, fix the air-conditioner and clean my house all at the same time just so i can no longer be dependent?? Talk of 'jill of all trades'! To be honest i wish i could do those things myself, i'd never employ an artisan again!

Generator man: "I dey for road, i dey come; just give me 30 minutes"....(3 hours later you're still waiting and of course he never shows up)
Air-conditioner repairer: "Ah, i can't come today but i'll be there on Tuesday abeg".... (it's Thursday, you've called him like 5 times and he's not taking his calls)
TAILOR: "I know your cloth should have been ready but there's been no light, i even slept at my shop waiting. Please eh i'll bring your cloth for you on Saturday, no vex. Even people that gave me their material before you, i still never sew their own" (like that is my frigging business!!)... He said Saturday, A WEEK LATER HE HASN'T CALLED NOR SHOWN UP.

Now can you see my frustration? SMH.....As a last straw I've called the tailor this morning and asked him to return all my material, sewn or unsewn, tomorrow morning. I'm fed up!
Oh dear......

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing, but like you said, it's because I've been in the exact same situation! I gave a tailor some material to make something for me to wear to church on Easter Sunday. I didn't hear back from her, so I decided on something else to wear. She turned up with the dress on Easter Sunday morning, but it was incomplete! I didn't know what to say...I'm going to learn sewing, it's never too late. ;)

    ReplyDelete