Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

DILEMMA OF A PRETTY GIRL

photo from theaishwarya.com


While i have no doubts that Aishwarya Rai (former miss world shown above) had no difficulty in bagging a man (with looks like hers), i know for a fact that this is often NOT the case for a lot if not most pretty girls. Funny topic? Maybe so, but true. I've had some conversations on or similar to this issue. I'll explain what i mean.

A lot of people tend to assume a pretty girl ALWAYS has a boyfriend and hence the guy who's been checking her out with his microscopic visual and mental lenses will likely pass up an opportunity to meet her or date her because in his words "she's GOT TO HAVE a boyfriend!". This is not to say that the only reason he'd pass up on her is  because she's pretty, but often times that cliche comes to play when it comes to meet and greet! If you differ on this opinion, ask the guys around and you'll be surprised. "She probably has a line of up of guys after her"; "too hot to handle, why would she look my way"; "i can't afford her".. just some of their tots.. 
Example: a colleague of mine who was engaged to be married last month had the hots for me before he got engaged but never had the courage to ask if i would date him because he 'heard' and 'assumed' i had a boyfriend! Newsflash, at the time he heard and assumed i was in a relationship, he was wrong! See what i mean now? Now i ask myself where he heard i had a boyfriend from since i don't let my private life out in the open to any of my colleagues?! Simple, it was a natural assumption that there's no way in God's green earth a 'pretty and nice' girl (not to pomp myself or anything but heyyyy..:) like myself would be single and hence he missed what might have been his chance! (not like i'm into office romance anywayz). 

Second example: I was watching a western movie yesterday (crappy one by the way) and a very pretty girl was complaining to her friend that no one asked her to the prom the year before because they all assumed she's got to have a boyfriend since she's so hottt! Now though its just a movie, often times there's truth behind what we see and hear. It got me thinking back to the few conversations I've had with guys on this topic. Most (not all o) guys who admire a pretty girl and assume she has a boyfriend may go one step further to hit on her but they'd make up their minds to NOT be serious with her (just in case). Guys, true or false? Think before you answer.. Even when they hear she's singles, some tend to still not believe and hence step in through the door with one leg out! Before i had a boyfriend, i was single for a looooooooooooong time (too long for me to remember); now don't get me wrong, i had 'toasters' but they weren't exactly my type! Some friends accused me of being picky and others wondered if i was lesbo (God forbid). None of the above. I was me... Not one or two but several guys whom i met ALWAYS assumed i had a boyfriend and were somewhat surprised to hear i didn't. I don't know if the assumption is because statistically most people are IN relationships or if the assumption was simply the clichéd mindset that pretty girls have hotties! Whatever the case, that's what they thought. Some guys however are more motivated by the sight of a pretty face and don't give a rat's ass if she's single or double. They see it, like it, want it and go after it! And yes sometimes, they get it! Just to confirm my tots on this, i spoke with a few female friends as well and they concurred on the stereotype of PRETTY FACE= MUST HAVE BF! Infact one girl told me some guys were admiring her friend's pictures on facebook and said to each other in Pidgin English: "this girl fine o, but she go get boyfriend na"  (in English: the girl is fine o, but she surely has a boyfriend) (and she didn't) hence he wrote off asking her out... He however stepped out of his assumption by asking and marrying her eventually,  when he was kindly informed by his brother that she was single. Perfect example of the dilemma of a pretty girl and perfect proof of the phrase that "assumption is the termite of relationships (or lack of it"

I guess what I'm trying to say ultimately is; when you see something or someone you like and want; make an effort to meaningfully go after it or her, she just might have been waiting for YOU to ask her all along *winks*
I mean what have you got to lose right?? :)

3 comments:

  1. How most men think...
    "She's too beautiful to be alone/single".
    "She has a host of men chasing after her, she's only single cos she doesn't want to settle down yet"
    "Look at how hot she is, why would she even look my way!"
    "I can't afford her, she's too beautiful, a richer or more handsome dude will steal her from me"
    "Even if I did ask her, she'll get tired of me"
    "She's way outta my league"
    "She's probably tired of men asking her out, so I don't want to make a fool of myself"

    Lol, not all men think this way. It took me about 7years to ask her out. And I didn't know if she was single or not, I just took a step of faith... I mean, "what have you got to lose right??" :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love this post! I can so relate with your dilemma Chinny! I know way too many pretty (and nice) girls that are still single, and I sometimes wonder why this is the case. From the above comments, I think it all boils down to self esteem. Many guys see a pretty girl and just assume that she's out of their league. A note to guys; you need to be brave and man up- that girl you think is too pretty for you may just be dying for you to ask her out! You think I'm lying? Well, there's only one way to find out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renny, lol! Shebi that girl may really just be dying for the guy to ask her out and he'll be there swallowing back his saliva in uncertainty! lol.. Hope the guys take the advise! There's truly only one way to find out, ASK!!

    ReplyDelete