Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

FIRE LAST NIGHT

I was going to write today about how sometimes as a writer one struggles with 'writer's block', and then fortunately for my writing but unfortunately for my house, i got a topic in the form of fire last night! 

It was about 1230am, I was already lying in bed and had just gotten off the phone with my boo when it all began. First of all the lights went out and i thought to myself, 'PHCN abi NEPA is at it again' but i was so sure they'd bring it back shortly as these days we seemed to have a lot of light. Anyway ten minutes or so later, the light flickers on and off and that's when i heard the spark. Already accustomed to electrical sparks every now and again, i didn't budge from my bed and wasn't shaken by the sounds of the sparks until it got worse and i heard footsteps and voices outside. I got up from my bed and looked out the window to see our 'meter house' in smoke, and i thought wow this might be serious. 
The meter house is a small house that houses all the electrical connections of the two storey building where i live. You don't want to imagine what kind of poor connection is in there, seeing as we are hardly safety conscious about such and getting 'unqualified' electricians to constantly fix one issue or the other isn't out of the norm. So anyway as at that time it was just smoke coming out of the house so i thought 'oh somethings probably blown and cut out the lights'. At that point my flatmate walks out of her room to ask if i know what's going on cause she saw the smoke and all and i said i had a perfect view of it all. Anyway within a span of two minutes, fire starts and my flatmate's driver who is outside calls for tenants to rush downstairs and move their cars. Again i stall thinking 'oh c'mon it can't be that serious' and even though i hold the car keys, i still wait. Anyway finally i decide to rush downstairs to see what's up and lo and behold, there's an actual fire! And guess who's car is parked right in front of the meter house??! I was scared sh** to get into the car and move it back seeing as there was 'sparks' or 'explosions' with the fire. Anyway people shout to me to get in and move it out, and i dash in, start the car and try to reverse. The car won't budge easily and I'm thinking what da hell is wrong with the car, not realizing the hand brake was still up!! Anyway i manage to reverse the car out of harm's way (with the hand brake still up), people rush to their cars to reverse and to bring out their extinguishers, neighbors from the next compound rush to assist and finally the fire is put out! (OK the fire wasn't that big since small extinguishers could put it out but still....) It coulda been worse seeing as there were fuel and diesel filled generators all around the meter house. I just thank God it wasn't.

My building is presently without power and i hear our (my flat) prepaid meter is completely fried and is estimated to cost plus other electrical damages at least $650! Who da hell is gonna pay for that?? No way I'm taking up the landlord's cost! This is exactly why i said in one of my older posts, "LANDLORD TRAVEL & SEE"!! I mean why build a house you're not prepared to take full responsibility and insurance for?! Anyway i think I'll have to move for the time being to my sister's house (if she'll have me:) till this brouhaha ends!

When does it all end? So much drama living in a house that is not yours! I gotta have my own house for shizzy...



4 comments:

  1. hmmm! few things caught my attention;
    1. Thank God that Nigerians are now getting enlightened enough to have fire extinguishers..
    2. You say wetin do the car???? Hmmmm, you reversed it with hand brake on....hmmm! It was parked closest to the fire??? ...hmmmm..this your blog will be exposing many things o! I need to be visiting more often..
    3. Of course your sister (any of them) would love to have you! Just keep a daily rent of $50...shikinah! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Mimi!! hehehe.. Don't worry 'the car' is fine! But you know i'm a good driver and manager na, i'm managing it well. Reversing with hand brake up is not as bad as driving 3 or more miles with it up na! (not that i've done that o, i haven't!!) lol..
    $50? Na wa o.. A whole me ke?! Btw mpa na mma say make i tell you to learn how to drive!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol...hee hee heee...Love ya'll too! P/s Who told you guys that i dont know how to drive???? I'll have you know that I DO know how to drive well.....not necessarily a vehicle, but i do know how to drive...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOl! Drive what then?? The lil cars at the GET arena??

    ReplyDelete