Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Half Full or Half Empty?

I always wondered what that statement means, "is the glass half full or half empty".. To me it felt like two different ways of asking the same thing, which in summary is "what is the water level in the glass?!" Laugh out loud.. Rather myopic way of interpreting the statement. But then again you can't blame me, its easy to be myopic in thinking if you fail to build your intellectual capacity by reading to acquire knowledge. For those who do not know, the expression is to compare "OPTIMISM and PESSIMISM"


EMPTY GLASS, HALF FULL GLASS & FULL GLASS
I'm reminded of this proverbial phrase when i read a post this morning, written by a friend who spoke of the optimistic nature of her mother who never sees the glass as half empty. Looking at the picture above makes me realize that in most situations in my life, i remain a half full glass, hardly ever attaining fullness because i choose pessimism. I only become full when its convenient for me and when my faith is 10/10. I'm a Christian woman, i study my bible, i go to church, i try to live Christlike, i pray and i ask God for strength to persevere in the days of adversity, for they will surely come. Yet when those days come, i begin to stumble, my heart grows weak, my strength fails me, His word is thrown out of my Hippocampus, the guy in the brain who is all about memory and a little about learning, and i begin to see the glass as half empty. For you see at that time all i see is the darkness in the tunnel, I'm gripped with fear and anger that He let me get in half way through the tunnel and then turned off the lights just when i began to run with a smile on my face...why would you let me in only to shut me out? Some of the questions that pass through my head.. And even when a whisper of hope is given to me as i place my palms on the walls of the tunnels and try to guide my way through in the dark, i accept it with reservations. I forget that He lives within me and I am light itself! I forget that He's walking with me in the dark, His angels by my side so i don't strike my foot against a stone, i forget it all.. For how long will He tarry with my faithlessness? How long will i continue to light the fire when the going is good, and put it out when the going gets tough?

The frailty of man must be exasperating....yes but to only man, not to the Big G who has more stamina and patience to tolerate our weaknesses and myopic eyesight. He desperately desires to see children whose faith is as tiny as a mustard seed, He has promised He can work with that. He can multiply that seed to form a pyramid as high as mountain which you and i can climb and command to move. Yet...He worries that when He returns, will He find faith on the earth? Difficult as it may be, we can have faith like Abraham who almost slew his son Isaac in obedience to the giver of life; we can have faith like Caleb and Joshua who saw giants in a beautiful land and came back to report that the land could be conquered (Numbers 14); we can have faith like Elijah who knew God would not abandon Him when contending with the prophets of baal on whose God is real (1Kings 18) or like David, though a boy, challenged and defeated the giant Goliath  (1 Samuel 17)... Just some of the examples of magnanimous faith written as a guide for those that believe to exemplify.

So while i ponder and work towards ALWAYS seeing the glass as half full and never half empty, i urge you to hold onto faith that someday it'll all be as right as rain! Hold onto the promise that His promises are "yes and amen", which means yes and it will be done!


DON'T be a victim of fair-weather FAITH! BE a victim of fair and foul-weather FAITH rooted in the word, that you may be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that extends its roots and whose leafs does not wither but always yields fruit and prospers! (PSALM 1:3) 




Tuyo por siempre (yours eternally) my faithful readers,
Chinny

No comments:

Post a Comment