Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Road Rage

“Idiot, foolish man, are you a learner?!" Just some out of the bag of insults that spills forth from one’s mouth while driving in Lagos. I like to pride myself on generally not being quick to swear or insult people however my ‘self-gratification’ in this quality is put to the test while driving on the streets of Lagos. I'm embarrassed to say this but its been so bad sometimes that I've almost stuck my hand out the window to 'give the finger'. Either to the hearing or not of the offender you can’t help but swear. It’s a total disaster. If the world’s driving association were to conduct a test on every driver in this country ALL licenses, including mine, would be revoked with the speed of light. As for Okada (motorbike) riders, theirs is another story altogether to be discussed in the future. Just this morning an Okada rider swerved right in front of my sister’s car without notice, he and the passenger were 6 seconds from being swept across the road. 

The most difficult time to drive in Lagos is from 7pm onwards. Last night I drove into a huge dent on the road as a result of being blinded by the lack of street lights and the “white light” from oncoming cars in the opposite lane. Thank goodness I was a safe distance from any car or persons. No wonder my tires are always flat and the brakes always messed up. I’m not Michael Shoemaker but I do observe the rules of driving as best I can. I drive without full beam and only use it when ‘absolutely’ necessary. However, most people in this state are completely clueless of driving rules. First rule of driving at night is “You must DIP your headlights”!!! Hold up, how can we know that? Most of us who were privileged to have gone to driving schools didn’t even take the time to study the rules book not to talk of people who learnt to drive bashing their father’s cars or using semi-abandoned vehicles in the scrap yard. One night while driving I was literally stalked by a car behind me that just didn’t dip his lights! Worst part is the particular road we were plying was fully lit; you could have driven without your lights ON and wouldn’t even notice. I had to ask the “toll gate” attendant to ask the guy to dip his lights. It feels like a suicide mission sometimes driving in this state. I don’t know if it’s because I use glasses or if this is truly the situation of things here.

Whatever the case may be, we need street lights! Tons and tons of street lights! And when they are installed, they will need security to avoid being vandalized. That is 9ja for you o, good things have expiry time here.  

OK my road rage ain't this bad yet! lol..

No comments:

Post a Comment